Papa George Gourmet Albacore - Shortcut to Home Page
Shortcut to Papa George Gourmet Albacore Home Page

"From Fishing to Farmers Markets" ....news & events, issues & ideas

Friday, November 24, 2006
 
A Ticket to Ride


The 96' Brigantine Yankee




*Irving and Electa Johnson; The Yankee's Wander-world (National Geographic Magazine, January 1949)
*Irving and Electa Johnson; South Seas Incredible Land Divers (National Geographic Magazine, January 1955)

These articles in National Geographic were some background. My grandmother gave us National Geographic magazine from 1949-1969. This was typical for children of the '50's. Now I had to figure out how to convince the Johnsons to take aboard an 8 yr old girl on their next circumnavigation....as a cabin girl? The only useful skills I had were splicing an eye in and whipping the end of a manila line, steering a compass coarse, rudamentary chart reading, dish washing, and dreaming. My parents were the biggest problem I thought. My older sisters would be delighted to be rid of me for 18 months. I knew I could handle it. This confidence was born of ignorance. Heck I could steer a sailing dinghy with my feet and scull the skiff as fast as rowing it. A letter to the Johnsons was in order.


Powered by Blogger

Return to Top


Customer Feedback | Submit a Recipe | Link to Us
About This Site | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Copyright 2002-2003 Volcano Bay Inc All Rights Reserved